What books should every English major read?
10 Books for Every English Degree Reading List
- Beowulf (c. 700-1000) – Anonymous.
- The Canterbury Tales (c. 1387-1400) – Geoffrey Chaucer.
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream (c. 1595-6) – William Shakespeare.
- Emma (1815) – Jane Austen.
- Mary Barton (1848) – Elizabeth Gaskell.
- A Doll’s House (1879) – Henrik Ibsen.
- Selected Poems (c.
- The Bell Jar (1963) – Sylvia Plath.
How is literature important in language learning?
Literature is generally used in English Language Teaching (ELT) for the development of knowledge about the language. It helps the learners to get familiar with the socio-political backgrounds of target language society and also makes them understand how communication takes place in a particular community.
What books should everyone read?
100 books everyone should read before they die (ranked!)
- “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee.
- “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen.
- “The Diary of Anne Frank” by Anne Frank.
- “1984” by George Orwell.
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” by J.K. Rowling.
- “The Lord of the Rings” (1-3) by J.R.R. Tolkien.
How do you study literature?
Exam Preparation: How to prepare for the Literature exam
- Read and re-read your texts.
- Learn quotations.
- Read around your text.
- Talk your ideas through.
- Go back over your own work.
- Study style – select and scrutinise significant/striking/special sections.
- Get to know VCAA a little better.
- Write sample paragraphs.
How can I be a good literature student?
Take detailed notes.
- Themes of the class as a whole.
- Your own thoughts and questions.
- Interesting points from class discussions.
- Themes and symbols in particular books.
- Your teacher or professor’s thoughts about a book (which will be more common in college lectures than in high school class discussions)
What is meant by literature review?
A literature review is a survey of scholarly sources on a specific topic. Writing a literature review involves finding relevant publications (such as books and journal articles), critically analyzing them, and explaining what you found.
Which is the best book for students?
Top 10 Books You Need To Read When In College
- This Side Of Paradise – F.
- Brave New World – Aldous Huxley.
- One Hundred Years Of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
- A Farewell To Arms – Ernest Hemingway.
- The Grapes Of Wrath – John Steinbeck.
- Lord Of The Flies – William Golding.
- To Kill A Mockingbird – Harper Lee.