What are the top 10 books in 2021?
Here, the top 10 fiction books of 2021.
- Klara and the Sun, Kazuo Ishiguro.
- Open Water, Caleb Azumah Nelson.
- Afterparties, Anthony Veasna So.
- Cloud Cuckoo Land, Anthony Doerr.
- The Love Songs of W.E.B.
- Detransition, Baby, Torrey Peters.
- My Monticello, Jocelyn Nicole Johnson.
- The Prophets, Robert Jones, Jr.
What is the most read book in 2020?
These are the bestselling books of 2020.
- Barack Obama, A Promised Land (2,574,531 copies sold)
- Stephenie Meyer, Midnight Sun (1,311,147 copies sold)
- Dav Pilkey, Dog Man (1,240,277 copies sold)
- Mary L.
- Suzanne Collins, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (1,235,099 copies sold)
Are zookeepers really the Good Guys?
Alas, there’s plenty of heartbreaking evidence that many are not. In many modern zoos, animals are well cared for, healthy and probably, for many species, content. Zookeepers are not mustache-twirling villains. They are kind people, bonded to their charges and immersed in the culture of the zoo, in which they are the good guys.
Are zoos really good for Conservation?
A few zoos are famous for their conservation work. Four of the zoos and the aquarium in New York City, for instance, are managed by the Wildlife Conservation Society, which is involved in conservation efforts around the world. But this is not the norm.
When does the New York Times Book Review List come out?
A version of this list appears in the October 31, 2021 issue of The New York Times Book Review. Rankings on weekly lists reflect sales for the week ending October 16, 2021. Lists are published early online. Follow New York Times Books on Facebook and Twitter (@nytimesbooks), sign up for our newsletter or our literary calendar.
What is the history of the zoo?
It is these boastful collections of animals, these autocratic menageries, from which the modern zoo, with its didactic plaques and $15 hot dogs, springs. The forerunners of the modern zoo, open to the public and grounded in science, took shape in the 19th century. Public zoos sprang up across Europe, many modeled on the London Zoo in Regent’s Park.